Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why Blog?



s1600/blogging.jpg">





Someone asked me recently, "Why do you blog? Isn't it a waste of time? Isn't it pointless to "talk" to a bunch of people you don't even know? And isn't it dangerous to put yourself out there at the mercy of cyberstalkers or wierdos?"

Her comments made me ask the same question: Why do I blog? Aside from the fact that everybody's doing it, what's in it for me?

Perhaps you've asked yourself, too. If so, please share your answers.

Here are some of mine.





1. I began blogging soon after teaching a resource course for widows/widowers. My original intent was to share some of the resources I had collected with others who might find them helpful. It wasn't long before I realized that I was learning as much or more than I was teaching. My understanding of widowhood has deepened through interacting with other widows I've met online. My most recent widowhood course was way better than my first.




2. One of the gifts blogging has brought me is the opportunity to make new friends. These are people I might never get to know in real life--we're different ages, have different backgrounds, come from different parts of the country. True, we wouldn't recognize one another in a crowd, but blogging has brought us together, and we've bonded. And I haven't met a single wierdo through blogging. So there.




3. Blogging helps me think through and work through my experiences of widowhood. I have a deeper understanding of myself.






4. When I began, I thought my posts would be limited to widowhood, but I've included other topics as well to give some variety to my blog. And yes, I've included a post about my cats. (They didn't actually type it, but they did contribute their two cents).



5. As all writers know, blogging is a great way to expand your platform.



So I'll just keep blogging away. How about you?

2 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I blog for similar reasons and I love the friends I've made along the way.

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Thelma. I feel like it's been a while. I LOVED your blog post and it feels like you have a new look (or is it more photos/art). Regardless, I loved ALL of it (especially Shakespeare by the computer contemplating blogging!).

I don't particularly like the feeling that I "should" blog, but I absolutely LOVE the "connection" to people and i LOVE the comments they leave on my blog! When I get those comments it just makes me want to blog that much more.

And, your comments are always so warm and welcome - so for that (and for this lovely post) - I thank you!

Hope to talk again soon and all the best,
Meryl
www.departingthetext.blogspot.com

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011