Wednesday, July 20, 2011

In Memoriam: Borders Books and Music



Borders was born in 1971 as an 800 square foot used bookstore in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It merged with Waldenbooks in 1992 and went public in 1995. Final chapter, 2011.




Bookstores are magic places, and Borders was a frequent and well-loved destination for me. It wasn't as classy as Barnes and Noble, as cozy as Blue Willow, an independent bookstore where I often did book signings, or as convenient as Amazon.com, which is just a click away. Still, it was my neighborhood store, minutes from my house. I knew my way around, could find Romance or Travel or Cookbooks with my eyes shut. I've browsed there and bought volumes that caught my eye and turned out to be some of my favorites. I've taken my granddaughter to Borders, bought gifts there, even had a date at their coffee shop. My Great Books group has held monthly meetings on the second floor for years. Lately we'd begun to notice that the air conditioning seemed to be running on half-power, a sure sign that the end was near.




I intend to take advantage of the liquidation sale, which should start in a few days. Then the hunt for another bookstore begins. But I'm sad. I feel like I'm losing a friend.

3 comments:

Widow in the Middle said... [Reply to comment]

They've already closed most of the Borders I used to frequent so I'm a little ahead of you in the feeling sad department. It reminds me of Frank's Nursery and Crafts stores that went out some years back. Makes me want to be more appreciating of the stores and restaurants I visit and enjoy.

Annie Boreson said... [Reply to comment]

Very sad indeed. We have kids not having to take written essays in Indiana because writing may not be an essential component of school curriculum much longer... while Texas reviews if they want to teach evolution, and to top it off...book stores are going under. It's a sad statement for where we are today.

Leah said... [Reply to comment]

I feel the same way. I actually wrote about it the other day. It's so sad to see this happen. And I'm truly sad for all those loosing their jobs.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011