Thursday, September 15, 2011

Recommended Site: Gotham Writers Workshop



Here's a site every writer should know about.

I came upon Gotham by chance (Hooray for Google!) when I was searching for a class on memoir writing. I came upon a treasure trove of workshops for writers at any stage in their careers. Want to be a travel writer? Screenwriter? Memoir writer? Blogger? Whatever your goal, Gotham has a workshop to fit your needs. Although some are in New York, the majority are online as well, so you can take a writing class in your pajamas (or in nothing at all if you wish). You'll get lectures, critiques by the instructor, critiques by your fellow class members, entry to a chat room set aside for your class.

I signed up for Memoir Writing I and began a memoir about my husband's last year of life, then took Memoir II and finally Advanced Memoir. Our instructor, Ana Maria Spagna, is amazing. The group of us who took the advanced class stayed in touch, continued to critique each other's work and kept up with news about each other's lives. Next month several of us are meeting in Lake Tahoe for a reuion and a class on essay writing with Ana Maria. Lake Tahoe in late October, personalized writing instruction...what could be better?

I can't promise you a trip to Lake Tahoe, but do stop by and see what Gotham has to offer.

3 comments:

Irene said... [Reply to comment]

Oh, Thelma, I'm so glad you posted this! Thank you so much! :-)

thelmaz said... [Reply to comment]

Irene, thanks for following. I stop by your blog often.

Irene said... [Reply to comment]

Thank you so much for the nomination, Thelmaz! I feel so honored! I'd love to return the favor next month! :-)

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011