Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September Books of the Month

Is September almost over already? It seems to have passed without my realizing. Anyway, I have read some interesting books, and here they are:


One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni. This book was chosen by the Houston Public Library as the Houston Reads selection for 2011. Each year readers throughout the city are encouraged to read and discuss the same book. One Amazing Thing is the story of a group of strangers trapped inside a passport office by an earthquake. To distract themselves, they each tell the story of one amazing thing that happened in their life. Almost a book of short stories tied together, it's a quick and, I thought, delightful read. Most of the people in my book group disagreed. It's available on Amazon (isn't everything?) so take a look.


Unmeasured Strength by Lauren Manning. This book received a lot of press around the 9/11 anniversary. The author worked on the 105th floor of the North Tower. She was running just a bit late that morning, and was about to step into the elevator when the first plane hit and a ball of fire rushed through the elevator shaft and engulfed her. This is the inspiring story of her recovery after being burned over 80% of her body. I can only imagine how painful that was. I was inspired by her courage and determination...and disappointed to learn that burn treatment hasn't advanced much since I was burned when I was in college.


John Dollar by Marianne Wiggins. An eerie book about a group of girls stranded on a remote island. A sort of female Lord of the Flies. My book club is reading them together. Personally, I prefer Lord of the Flies; in fact, it's one of my favorite books. But this one will also give you nightmares.


At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. This is a pretty long book, but I loved every page. It's a wide-ranging history of anything you can think of in relation to home. Though some of the content has only a slight connection to home (Darwin's voyage on the Beagle, for example), the book kept me engaged and amused. I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said... [Reply to comment]

Wow, these sound like some powerful books!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I haven't read that Bill Bryson book, but I love his style. In a Sunburned Country is one of my favorites!

thelmaz said... [Reply to comment]

I love Bryson, too.

I finished John Dollar last night just before bedtime, and I really did have a nightmare. Scary!

The Time Sculptor said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for bringing these three wonderful books to our attention. They all sound un-put-downable!
Jane Gray

Alana said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks so much for the recommendations Thelma! I love the cover of One Amazing Thing, and it's appealing in that short stories sound feasible in a go-to book to read anytime I just have a few minutes!

Being a huge fan of non-fiction I am also interested by At Home.

Will have to check out both of those!

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011