Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Vegetables

I love vegetables.  I eat raw veggies for lunch along with cheese and crackers and at least one serving, sometimes two, of vegetables for dinner.  Today I'm sharing 2 of my favorite veggie recipes.


Warning: These aren't heart healthy. More on the order of "guilty pleasures."





Minted Glazed Carrots




12 fresh carrots
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 T. chopped mint or dried mint flakes
 
Peel and cook carrots in boiling water.  Drain, and while hot, pour sugar and butter over them.  Cook slowly until carrots are glazed but not browned.  When ready to serve, sprinkle with mint.
 
 
Spinach Casserole
 
2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach
1/2 pint sour cream
1 medium can mushrooms stems and pieces
1 can artichoke hearts
 
Cook and drain spinach.  Add sour cream and mushrooms.  Put half of mixture into a buttered casserole.  Slice artichoke hearts and layer on top of spinach mixture.  Top with rest of spinach mixture.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Super Happy Jen said... [Reply to comment]

My Mom always makes spinach squares, a combination of spinach, cheese and flour I believe. Even my son likes them.

Jeremy Bates said... [Reply to comment]

I despise cooked carrots, but I may make this and try it. If I spit it out and gag, I can always allow my fiance to eat them all or share them with our friends. lol

Thanks, I may have a way to eat cooked carrots.

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011