Monday, April 8, 2013

H is for Hero

I once read a story in a second grade reader about a little boy named Jasper who wanted to meet a hero.  Every day he hoped to find one, until at last he realized he lived with one:  his dad, who worked hard every day and took care of his family.

I've had three heroes in my life:
      #1. My father.  At nineteen he came from the Ukraine to join some of his siblings in Texas.  He worked hard, beginning as a peddler, eventually opening his own business and providing a comfortable life for his family.  He passed on his values:  keep your word, be honest, stand up for what you believe in.  He was always there to listen when I needed him most.  I am honored to be his daughter.

     #2. My husband.  He taught me courage as he battled leukemia.  Although his lost the battle, his courage and optimism never wavered.  I never heard him complain.  His last words to me were, "I love you."  I miss him every day.

     #3. My son.  Last summer he had a stroke.  Although he has no physical problems, he does suffer from aphasia.  I have watched him cope with this, watched him help others with aphasia, and I've never seen him give up the fight to recover his language skills.  I'm proud to be his mom.

Do you know a hero?

0 comments:

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011