Thursday, January 8, 2015

Books of November and December

It might seem I hadn't read much in November and December, but these were long books.
If you have a PhD in physics or if you love to read pages and pages of scientific discussions about physics , maybe, just maybe you'd like this book.  Even then, you probably wouldn't.  It's totally boring.  The protagonist is a washed out former Nobel Laureate who steals ideas for ending climate change from an intern and sells them as his own.  It was a book club read and after we discussed it, we added McEwan to our Authors We'll Never Read Again list.

 Another not recommended book, purportedly about how to be content with aging, but actually an attack on Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People as well as much repetition about adulthood in the 20th century.

I enjoy Phillppa Gregory's books about the Tudor court and this novel about Lady Margaret Pole was no exception.  If you like historical novels, you'll enjoy this one.

An interesting but over-long book about African immigrants to America.  A bit preachy at times when various groups talk social and political issues over dinner, but otherwise pretty good.  It was named a Notable Book of 2013.

1 comments:

OEBooks said... [Reply to comment]

Happy New Year, Thelma!

Oh, on that first review, I laughed and laughed. Gosh, that was funny. I mean, the subject you describe actually sounds interesting, except you’ve convinced me. Sounds like I’d end up with a headache if I tried to read this one. I think I will try the Americanah book though.

Thanks for the book recommendations.
Rhonda | RYCJ

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011