Monday, February 6, 2017

Super Bowl LI

I love football.  I grew up in Austin, Texas so I guess it's genetic. I love football on any Sunday but especially on Super Sunday. All the hype, the introduction of the players, the National Anthem--it's an American tradition and I love to watch the game.  Of course, this year was special because the game was in Houston.  The city had been getting ready for, it seems like a century.  Everything was spruced up and set to go.

The temporary building that holds 9,000 people was ready for Taylor Swift's performance.  Oh, excuse me--not quite ready.  They didn't have an occupancy permit for the building until Wednesday night.  Imagine if they'd had to cancel the show.

I loved seeing the joy on George H.W. Bush's face when he was wheeled onto the field to do the coin toss.  Barbara was on the field, too, and looked equally happy.  You know the Bushes love football.  He was barely out of the hospital, but he was determined to be there for the game.
Of course the Patriots won even though they were 25 points down at the half.  I thought it was time for a new team to win and was rooting for Atlanta, but, alas, Tom Brady was his usual self and the Patriots won in overtime.  Maybe next year, Falcon fans.

Lady Gaga was amazing.  Who else can move like that?  The halftime show was one of the best I've seen.  Of course, Houston's last Super Bowl featured Janet Jackson and her wardrobe malfunction, so I guess in its own way it was more memorable.

And who doesn't love the commercials?  My favorites were Coca Cola and the secret society of avocado lovers.

Added note:  Someone stole Tom Brady's game shirt.  The Houston police are investigating, but Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick has also sent out the Texas Rangers.  Be very afraid, Jersey Thief.

1 comments:

Jane said... [Reply to comment]

Thelma,

I live in Boston, and I too was thinking 'maybe it's time for....." but only dared admit that to my husband. When the Pats came back from being 3 TDs down, I realized this is why they are great. And unique. It's a hill for other teams to climb and aspire too - that makes others work hard and harder. And one day one of them will! Nice post!!

http://youreadermejane.wordpress.com

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011